At the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN), we believe that well-informed communities
contribute to better science. We engage community members in all phases of the research process. This helps to foster trust and mutual understanding of research issues, and ensures that the research strategies and approaches respect the values and cultural and ethnic differences among participants. Our global community education plan
has been established to:
- ensure the ethical and scientific quality of proposed research
- ensure relevance to the affected community
- evaluate acceptance by the affected community
- involve community representatives in the design, development and implementation of trials and distribution of trial results
- establish a process for arriving at standards and best practices at international, national, and local levels.