HVTN Research and Mentorship Program (RAMP) Scholar Program for African American/Black and Latinx Medical Students
Applications for 2020-2021 are now closed. Please check the site in the Fall of 2021 for information on the next round of applications, or email Linda Oseso, RAMP Program Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be notified when applications are open.
The HIV Vaccine Trials Network, in collaboration with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases of the National Institutes of Health is investing in the next generation of HIV prevention researchers by providing African American and Latinx medical students with opportunities for independent research along with structured mentoring, project and salary funding, training, and professional development activities.
Program Track for the 2021-2022 Cycle
Grant recipients will work under the mentorship of HVTN-affiliated investigators to conduct research projects in areas of basic, clinical, behavioral, laboratory and social science. Projects will be 8-10 weeks or 9-12 months (onsite portion).
Short-Term: 8-10 weeks
- Can be timed with a summer break or fourth year research elective
- Travel to an HIV Vaccine Clinical Research Site in the US or abroad (if COVID has been controlled)
- Attend and present at an HVTN Conference
- Maximum award of $20,000
Long-Term: 9-12 months
- Research at an HIV Vaccine Clinical Research Site in the US or abroad (if COVID has been controlled)
- Can be timed with a planned Master's or doctoral program, or be a distinct, non-degree associated research-focused year
- Attend two scientific conferences, including presenting at the HVTN conference
- Maximum award of $70,000
RAMP scholars are funded to travel to an HVTN clinical research site to conduct a project under the mentorship of an investigator.
PROJECT OPTIONS FOR THE 2021-2022 CYCLE:
Applications for 2020-2021 are now closed. Please check the site in the Fall of 2021 for information on the next round of applications, or email Linda Oseso, RAMP Program Manager (email@example.com) to be notified when applications are open
To see projects of our current and former scholars, check out their profiles.
Who can apply?
The HVTN will be accepting up to 5 RAMP scholars who meet the following criteria:
- Self-identify as African-American and/or Latinx
- Student attending an accredited US medical school conferring MD and DO degrees
- In good academic standing
- US citizen or US permanent resident
- Interested in pursuing a future career in HIV research
How to Apply
Please visit How To Apply.
For more information, please contact:
Linda Oseso, MPH
RAMP Program Manager
HIV Vaccine Trials Network
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Eastlake Ave., E3-300
Seattle, WA 98109-1024